Like most dog parents, you may occasionally sneak some “people” food to your dog. Though most of the time this is relatively harmless, there are some foods that SHOULD BE AVOIDED. Below is a list of common foods, beverages, or additives found in most American Households that can be very harmful to dogs if ingested.
List Of Foods Not To Feed Your Dog (no matter how hard they beg or how cute they look)
Here is a list of foods that are unsafe and unfit for canine consumption, many of which are toxic to dogs.
- Apple Seeds the coating on the seeds contains a natural chemical that releases cyanide when digested.
- Avocado – Avocados contain a substince called persin which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart problems. The pit is the most dangerous. If your dog has eaten an avocando pit, call us immediately!
- Candy, Chewing Gum, Toothpaste & Diet Foods containting Xylitol. this common sweetner is extremely toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can cause a sharp drop in blood sugar, seizures, liver failure and even death.
- Cat Food – eating cat food can lead to obesity, upset stomach and pancreatitis from the high protein and fat levels.
- Alcohol, Hops, Coffee, Tea & Other Caffeine Beverages
- Cooked Bones – the danger in cooked bones is thaty they are much more likely to splinter when chewed, whereas uncooked bones are safer.
- Corn On The Cob
- Fat Trimmings
- Grapes & Raisins can cause kidney failure, even a small amount can make yoru dog very ill.
- Human Vitamins
- Macadamia Nuts even a small amount of macadamia nuts can be fatal.
- Milk & Dairy Products Though not fatal, milk and dairy products are a common food allergy and can trigger some less than desirable digestive issues like gas and diarrhea.
- Onions & Chives
- Persimmon, Peaches & Plum Pits
- Raw Meat & Fish
- Rhubarb & Tomato Leaves
If you are concerned about your dog’s weight, diet, or overall health be sure to schedule an appointment with one of our vets today. There are many different treatment plans and behavior modifications that are available to you.