In celebration of National Siamese Cat Day (April 6, 2020) we thought it would be fun to share with you some of our favorite fun facts about Siamese Cats.
1) Siamese Cats are descended from felines born in Siam which is now modern day Thailand.
2) As of 2019, the Siamese Cat is the 12th most popular cat breed in the United States.
3) The Siamese Breed is a very old breed. There have been writings about the cat found in text that was written between the 14th and 18th centuries. Which makes the breed an estimated 700 years old!
4) Today’s Siamese Cats are much different then the earlier breed. In fact, the breed was once known for it’s crocked tail, crossed eyes and rounder body and face. These physical traits started to shift in the mid 2oth century as cat fanciers favored the leaner, fine boned feline it is today.
5) The average male Siamese cat weighs between 11 and 15 pounds while females average 8-12 pounds. There is one on record that weighted in at a staggering 50 pounds!
6) In Thailand, Siamese cats are called the wichien-matt, which is roughly translated to “Moon Diamond.”
Additional Information Links